D23: The Official Disney Fan Club has announced details of its Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th and Great Disney Scavenger Hunt events for this coming May. Tickets for both events go on sale February 24th. Read on to find out the details, including pricing and some familiar names (other than mine) that are scheduled to attend.
The fun begins May 12th with the two-day Great Disney Scavenger Hunt. Participants will be allowed 3 hours each in Magic Kingdom, Disney’s Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom, plus 4 hours in Epcot to answer as many questions as they can. Prizes will be awarded at the end of the second day.
The cost is $85 per team ($60 for D23 members). D23 members who also book Destination D are eligible for a discount.
Disneyland Correspondent Tony Spittell participated in the Scavenger Hunt held at Disneyland last year. Here are his thoughts.
On May 14th and 15th, D23 will hold Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th at the Fantasia Ballroom in the Contemporary Resort. This event will be filled with presentations by Disney historians and Disney Legends. Tickets are $175 are available only to D23 members (and one guest). Members can book this event and one Scavenger Hunt team for $215.
Here are some additional highlights from D23:
The weekend’s activities will illuminate the rich history of Walt Disney’s “Project Florida.” Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th will feature a remarkable gathering of Walt Disney World pioneers, retrospectives, screenings of rare and newly discovered film and TV footage and lively presentations that will give D23 members an unprecedented look at this truly spectacular World.
All Destination D guests will also receive a complimentary, limited-edition reproduction of the 1970 “Preview Edition” of the Walt Disney World souvenir guidebook from the Walt Disney Archives Collection. The 22-page, colorful book is just one of the gifts Members will receive. The complete Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th line-up (as well as information about D23’s Great Disney Scavenger Hunt) is available at the D23 Web site and includes:
- Appearances by notable Disney Legends & Imagineers Marty Sklar, Bob Gurr, Jack Lindquist, Eric Jacobson, Tony Baxter, Charlie Ridgway and Ron Logan, in addition to Debra Browne, the 1971 Walt Disney World Ambassador.
- A special exhibit from the Walt Disney Archives featuring rare items and artifacts showing the creation and evolution of Walt Disney World Resort.
- A multitude of fantastic presentations covering topics such as bizarre and wacky moments in Walt Disney World’s past, Walt’s vision for EPCOT, and even a peek at the Walt Disney World that never was!
- Rare autograph session with Disney Legends and authors.
- An enchanting concert, Magic Journeys: A Flight of Fancy through 40 Years of Walt Disney World Musical Memories featuring Disney Legend and Academy Award®-winner Richard M. Sherman.
Category: Disney World